A Little About Haskell
Haskell is located 55 miles north of Abilene and 98 miles South of Wichita Falls at the intersection of state highways 277 & 380.
Haskell was established before the US Civil War by the state legislature to honor Texas Revolutionary War hero Charles Ready Haskell.
Originally known as Willow Pond Springs, Captain Randolph Marcy’s expedition passed this way in 1849 and a member of the expedition wrote his brother about the place’s potential. In 1879 the brother – Thomas Tucker – occupied the area renamed the place Rice Springs.
The post office was established in 1885 and the community was renamed after a soldier who died at Goliad – Charles Ready Haskell. The county was organized that same year and Thomas Tucker became the first judge.
The Haskell Free Press became the first newspaper in 1886.
In 1906 the Texas Central Railroad connected Stamford to Haskell.
Haskell incorporated in 1907.
Just before World War II the Lawson oilfield was discovered six miles east of Haskell.
Lake Stamford was built in the 1950’s to provide water for municipal, industrial and recreational use.