The Mayor and City Council for the City of Haskell are seeking applicants for the position of City Administrator, a full-time exempt position. The City Administrator will be accountable to the Mayor and City Council for the satisfactory performance of the duties assigned by ordinance resolution. Mayor and Council directive. Federal and State law. Applicants for the position should possess the education level or experience and working knowledge that will provide the highest standard of leadership possible so as to help move the City forward in an open and transparent method and manage the day-to-day operation of all municipal functions of the City.
DUTIES, JOB RESPONSIBLITIES & CHARACTERISTICS
- Devotes all their working time and attention to the affairs of the City.
- Communicates and works well with the public, employees, and City Council.
- Is responsible to the City Council for the efficient administration of the city’s affairs.
- Appoints and removes at his or her sole discretion, all City employees except those appointed by City Council as provided for in the City of Haskell code of ordinances.
- Organizes all City work operations.
- Exercises supervision and control over all departments created by the City Council.
- Performs any other duties as may be prescribed by ordinance, resolution or as directed by the City Council or that may be proper for the efficient administration of the City’s affairs.
- Assures that all terms and conditions imposed in favor of the City in any public utility franchise is faithfully kept, taking appropriate action to correct any violation.
- Attends all meetings of the City Council and takes part in discussions, making recommendations to the City Council when appropriate.
- Keeps the City Council fully advised as to the financial condition and needs of the City.
- Executes contracts on behalf of the City when authorized by ordinance, resolution, or City Council action.
- Has the ability to read and understand difficult source documents in print or on the computer screen.
- Has the ability to use a PC for extended periods of time for correspondence and memorandums as well as software applications in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other Microsoft Office programs. Prior experience with FundView applications is desired.
- Ability to maintain and build excellent working relationships between the City of Haskell and Haskell County, Development Corporation, Chamber of Commerce, Haskell Independent School District, Haskell Memorial Hospital, Federal and State agencies as well as Federal and State elected officials and the local business community.
- Prepare and submit an annual budget to City Council for adoption and assures the City operates within the adopted budget.
- Ensure a clean audit at the end of each fiscal year.
- Ensure that all accounts of revenues and disbursements are properly booked and accounted for.
- Prepare, at least monthly, reports and statements to present to the City Council indicating the financial status and cash position of the City.
- Maintain oversight of all financial transactions including billing and payroll.
- Seek out and apply for alternate funding sources such as grant and loans.
- Supervision and control over all City purchases in accordance with budget and Council policy.
- Any additional responsibilities that may be directed by ordinance, resolution or City Council directive.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Government, Political Science, Business Administration, or a related field. A Master’s degree is desired but not required.
- Being a Certified Public Manger and/or a Credentialed Manager is desired but not required.
- Three to five years of progressively responsible positions in pubic administration
- Knowledge of physical functions and practices of municipal governments.
- Experience and oversight of procedures and processes in governmental accounting, finance, budget preparation and administration, treasury functions, purchasing, tax, water and sewer customer service, municipal operation, and data processing.
- Effective written and verbal communications skills.
The Mayor and City Council of the City of Haskell reserve the right to chose whom they deem to be the most qualified candidate to fill the open position of City Administrator based upon abilities and characteristics they feel will most fit the needs of the City and the citizens of Haskell. The salary range is $90,000 – $100,000 annually depending on qualifications, with benefits to be provided as is provided by all other City employees. This position shall remain open until filled.
Submit your application, background check authorization, and resume along with a cover letter addressed to the Mayor City Council, to the attention of Kerry Lacy, Interim City Manager/Administrator, PO OBX 1003, Haskell, Texas 79521. Failure to provide the required employment application and authorization for the background check may result in your disqualification for consideration as a candidate for the open position of City Administrator for the City of Haskell.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
The City of Haskell, Texas is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability genetic information, pregnancy, or other protected characteristic as outlined by Federal, state or local laws.
This applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. The City of Haskell, Texas makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit and the needs of the organization at the time.